hello!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

hello!

Post  vasilakis13 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:08 pm

Hello! My name is Bill, I am 17 years old and I live in Greece. It has been a while since I last had english lessons so please tolerate any mistakes Smile
I am a begginer in the bonsai hobby and I find it very interesting!
Yesterday I bought two pre-bonsais, the so called mallsais. The first one is an ulmus and the second one a carmona macrophyllia. What I plan to do is try to keep them alive until winter, so that they aren't stressed and the weather cools,and then prune and repot them and maybe wire them, do you agree with that approach? Also, having read a few topics in the forum I under that mallsais will most probably never become good bonsais, what trees do you suggest for bonsais? Thank you in advance for your time!
PS:can I see your forum from Tapatalk? I tried but couldn't find it

vasilakis13

Joined date : 2014-06-18

Back to top Go down

Re: hello!

Post  Greg on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Hello Bill and welcome to our forum
Your english actually are very good
Bonsai is an excellent hobby and you're in an age that can be enjoyed for many years.
Mallsai is good for a beginner, ulmus will be ok, carmona is a difficult one.
Try to keep them alive during summer. You may start working on them during mid autumn. try not to do too many things at the same time. give time to the tree to settle down.
have always in mind that the most suitable trees for you to be used as bonsai are the native trees of your area. have a look around your "neighborhood "and try to identify the tree species then make a google search or ask here for more information.

Greg
Admin

Joined date : 2011-04-30

http://bonsaicyprus.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilakis13 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks for the reply Greg!
The truth is that I didn't plan on buying a carmona, the seller from the nursery told me it is a rare specie ficus, which I knew to be an easy to maintain tree,and told me into buying it. As I found out later, with the help of the members of the greek forum, to my disappointment it is a carmona, a tricky tree, difficult to keep alive.
I have some trees in mind for the future, such as maple, olive and orange. They are all species suitable to the climate of my country.
What I don't understand is how I make them bonsais. Let's say I I take a maple from a nursery, 1 meter high, and I cut it at 20cm. How will it's trees become smaller?

vasilakis13

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:46 pm

you cant get the answer in a few lines. Get some bonsai books in your hands and start reading . There are plenty of cheap beginers books in ebay. After a good reading it will be obvious how to get there. you will then have more specific questions, that can be answered here all elsewhere.

Greg
Admin

Joined date : 2011-04-30

http://bonsaicyprus.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilakis13 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:24 pm

I just bought one of these books for 4 euros and having given it a quick look, I think it is worth the money!
I will read it thoroughly, it even has a whole chapter dedicated to pruning with pictures. I think it is more than enough to learn the basics! I will return with any questions in the next days Smile

vasilakis13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:48 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum