Phoenicean Juniper

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Phoenicean Juniper

Post  stavros on Tue May 17, 2011 5:32 pm

A year ago, this phoenicean juniper was purchased by a friend (bought from a UK bonsai supplier). At some point he decided that he did not want to keep it any more so i bought it off from him. It was sitting in my garden for a few months, and i was trying to visualize how I would style it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I never really liked the angle that was planted. One of the main problems though is the fact that most of the trunk is deadwood and the tree had roots only on one side, making it a challenge to change the angle it was planted in the pot and secure it in this position.

I then had an idea, something seen in magazines/books. I used stainless steel screws at the base of the deadwood and wire to secure the tree in an upright position. (november 2010)

Since february 2011, it looks like this.....it needs more work...

Today the tree looks slightly different; i've worked on the deadwood and did some more wiring on the branches.
I will let the tree grow freely from now on and next year i will try to refine it more. I hope that in a few years it will be show ready.

Any ideas, comments?

"Knowledge is power" Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626

stavros

Joined date : 2011-05-02

http://www.bonsaicyprus.com

Back to top Go down

Phoenician Juniper.

Post  will baddeley on Tue May 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Hello Stavros. My preferance is for the tree as it came to you. The deadwood is fantastic and is shown off reallly well propped up on the brick. Planted straight up, this tree loses its dynamism somewhat. Just my thoughts.

will baddeley

Joined date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Phoenicean Juniper

Post  stavros on Wed May 18, 2011 4:27 am

The truth is that i kept it as it came for more than half a year and I was never really satisfied with the way it looked......
I appreciate what you are saying but it's just a matter of personal preference.

And there was a practical issue that was solved this way....: the tree was horizontal when it came to me, because the lack of roots and missing base (rotten deadwood) could not support it being in that angle, and i could not think of a way to keep in the original planting angle.

"Knowledge is power" Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626

stavros

Joined date : 2011-05-02

http://www.bonsaicyprus.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Phoenicean Juniper

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top